20A – Growing Your Social Capital


               Hector Mendoza is a PS supplier in North Florida. He has been supplying PS for over 15 years as a middleman between retailers and growers. (supplier) He developed infrastructure between Lowes and Home Depot to provide the with straw at a bulk rate.  He has also worked a lot with land owners near Jacksonville to become one of the largest suppliers in that area. I contacted him by looking for market leader in areas out of my own. His contact was available on line and I called him. I asked them to speak to me about their company and provide some information about how he contacted the large retail chains. The possibility of selling to large retail chain could be a profitable venture.
               Emanuel Flores is a seller of PS to large real estate developments in south Florida. (Market Expert) He has been working in the industry for a couple years but he does not lead in his area. He’s market has very thin margins as the developer would spread the straw themselves and this leads to a lower price per bale. I contacted them by contacting a large developer I knew and asking him who maintained their landscapes.  I got his contact from him. I asked him to show me what he used to deliver the straw and he sent me images. He is a leader in selling to developments and has a portfolio of developments to work on.
               Dill Thompson is a retailer of PS and installer. He mostly perform his work in Jacksonville. He has a contract with retirement communities and hotels in the Jacksonville bay area.  I contacted him by talking to hotels and asking who did their landscaping. I asked them to meet with my and discuss what opportunities they had. They would be direct competition with us and as such he was slightly put offish, but we will meet soon?
This post was difficult for me because ive been working in myindsutry for a long time and I find it difficult to contact new people. However, I moved to market where I hadn’t been before and this helped.

Comments

  1. Hey Robert! Im sure that this activity is one of the few places where, being as integrated in your field as you are actually proved to be a downside. Im sure that venturing out to see and understand how others deal with the same issues that you do proved to be extremely helpful in your work in the industry right now and in the future. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

25A – What’s Next?

24A – Venture Concept No. 1

26A – Celebrating Failure